Three things Anybody can apply to their Strengths Journey (podcast)
Welcome to the Leadership Vision Podcast, where we share our expertise in the discovery, practice, and implementation of a strengths-based approach to people, teams, and culture.
We recently finished our 2019 summer cohort of Strengths Communicator Training in Minneapolis. 14 dedicated participants completed four days of intensive training by sharing what they learned with the group. This cohort model is designed to offer classroom-type instruction but mostly centers around conducting 10 – 12 individual Strengths interviews with friends, family members, and colleagues. Participants learn to listen for the Talents behind the names of Strengths, as well as develop their own interview style and voice.
On the podcast today, you’ll get to hear our president and founder Brian Schubring recap this training by sharing a few of his leanings from this group of Strength Communicators. He and I will also discuss three things anybody can apply to their Strengths-Based work. These three elements are critical for developing a Strengths mindset!
Three Big Take Aways
Below is a brief summary of the big ideas from this episode, and the training as a whole. Listen now and share your big take aways!
- BE PATIENT – When learning from someone else about their Strengths, allow them to tell you what their Strengths mean and give examples. Do not attempt to jump in and fill in the information you happen to know about that Theme of Strength. Listen and ask leading questions to get the individual to talk more.
- WAIT FOR A SURPRISE – Anticipate being surprised by someone’s explanation of their Themes of Strength. Listen for examples of where they see that Strength most alive or where that Strength is serving someone else. Whatever question you’re asking, let that element of surprise be there.
- SELF-REFLECTION – Ask yourself what you learned each time you hear about someone else’s Strengths. Asking yourself questions like, “how am I going to interact with that person next time I’m with them? How is this new information going to impact my relationship with that individual? How do I help that individual grow?” etc.
What is Strengths Communicator Training?
Strengths Communicator Training is for individuals who want to enhance their skills to help others understand the unique behaviors of Strength. We believe anyone interested in understanding how their Strengths interact and behave at a deeper level could benefit from this, bu two groups in particular we get immense value from this training:
- An individual who represents an organization already utilizing Strengths who wants in-depth training to maximize their organization’s understanding and application of Strengths.
- Coaches or consultants who are looking to sharpen or enhance the work they are already doing with Strengths.
To become fluent in the language of Strengths, you need to understand the behaviors behind them. These behaviors give them “meaning, depth, color, dimension, sound, timing, and texture.” The behaviors, not the names, are where the uniqueness of each Strength exists. This is what participants of our Strengths Communicator Training learn to recognize.
About The Leadership Vision Podcast
The Leadership Vision Podcast is a weekly show sharing our expertise in the discovery, practice, and implementation of a strengths-based approach to people, teams, and culture. We believe that knowing your Strengths is only the beginning. Our highest potential exists in the ongoing exploration of our talents. Subscribe to the Leadership Vision Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Stitcher, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts. Please contact us if you have ANY questions about anything you heard in this episode or if you’d like to talk to us about helping your team understand the power of Strengths.
We would love to hear how you’ve been impacted by the Strengths movement. If you’d like to be featured on the Leadership Vision Podcast, let us know how you are using Strengths and what impact it has made. Contact us here!