Exploring Strengths and Well-Being in Times of Uncertainty
We produced a whole podcast episode about things that leaders need to give their teams in 2020. We recorded, edited, made show notes, and had it done several days ahead of time and scheduled to be released today, March 16.
Then the virus and the stock market self-immolated, and, well, it seemed inappropriate to persist with regularly scheduled programming. So, we’re breaking in with something different.
Yes, this is a podcast episode about COVID-19. No, it doesn’t just repeat what you’ve already heard. It’s a conversation between myself and Brian and Linda Schubring as we look through a Strengths lens to examine our behaviors, emotions, and processes for establishing well-being during times of uncertainty.
In it, we process our behaviors, emotions through a Strengths lens, and look for ways our Strengths can help us adapt and improve our well-being.
Around 5 am, PST, Brian sent me the following questions which we used as the basis for our conversation today. It’s based on our decades of work with Strengths within individual, team, and organizational context. We hope it helps make sense out of whatever it is that’s going on.
How are you Behaving?
- How are you reacting? What are you doing? Think of specific examples.
- When has this happened before? What was that outcome? Put it in context.
- What Strengths are at play? Which of your 5 Themes can you see showing up in your behaviors right now?
- How are your behaviors being experienced and/or being misunderstood?
- What changes or adaptations can you make to improve your well-being? Take time with this one!
How are you feeling?
- How are you feeling? Sad? Anxious? Nervous?
- When have you felt this way before? What was that outcome? Put it in context.
- What Strengths are at play? Which of your 5 Themes can you see showing up in your emotions right now?
- How are your feelings effecting those around you? What relationships are experiencing your Themes in Generative or Degenerative ways?
- What commitments can you make to improve your emotional well-being?
Try to be as specific as possible when you answer these questions, and then share them with someone close to you, ideally virtually unless it’s your immediate family.
“I think we need to rely on others to get back on track…”Brian Schubring
We’re in this together… this is an opportunity to ask for help and be quick to respond… how can we think, and feel, and do in ways that are empowering in times that are scary and unprecedented.Linda Schubring
What about You?
We can’t meet in person right now, but for this community, that’s perhaps where we have an advantage. We would LOVE to hear how you’re processing everything in light of the questions above. Please leave a comment on this post or on our social media accounts and let us know how you are using your Strengths to create a sense of well-being during this uncertain time.
About The Leadership Vision Podcast
The Leadership Vision Podcast is a weekly show sharing our expertise in the discovery, practice, and implementation of a strengths-based approach to people, teams, and culture. We believe that knowing your Strengths is only the beginning. Our highest potential exists in the ongoing exploration of our talents. Subscribe to the Leadership Vision Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Stitcher, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Please contact us if you have ANY questions about anything you heard in this episode or if you’d like to talk to us about helping your team understand the power of Strengths.
If you’d like to be featured on the Leadership Vision Podcast, let us know how you are using Strengths and what impact it has made. Contact us here!